Bhate Environmental Associates, Inc. (www.bhate.com) is seeking to fill a position for an On-Site Safety and Health Officer, who can also fulfill the duties required of a Site Safety Health Officer (Competent Person/SSHO), on primarily Government related projects.
The successful candidate will report to the Project Manager and will be responsible for all technical and site execution aspects of the site safety requirements and expectations, and subcontractor site safety coordination. The Site Safety and Health officer is also responsible for maintaining project Safety expectations, and all safety reporting and procedures. The SSHO shall have training and experience to conduct exposure monitoring/air sampling and select/adjust protective equipment use.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- The SSHO shall be present at the project site, located so they have full mobility and reasonable access to all major work operations during the shift.
- The Contractor’s project management team, with the assistance of the SSHO, is responsible for managing, communicating, implementing and enforcing compliance with the Contractor’s APP and other accepted safety and health submittals.
- Be 100% familiar with the requirements of the contract specifications and ensure compliance with all safety, health and environmental issues
- Implement and supervise project safety, accident, and fire protection programs in compliance with corporate safety program standards.
- Assist and guide the Site Superintendent in preparation and execution of the Daily/Weekly Toolbox Safety Meetings.
- Site orientation to all new arriving personnel and visitors (as needed)
- File Daily documents.
- Address any Safety concerns voiced by client or found while walking site.
- Investigates and provides written report on mishaps involving injury to contractor personnel or damage to machinery, tools, materials or equipment.
- Daily Logs (as needed)
- Educate all site personnel on the expectations of Bhate’s Safety Culture.
- Oversee all day-to-day field activities, ensure that field work is conducted in a Safe manor.
- Effectively work and communicate with the Project Manager and site team to ensure all construction/demolition operations are in compliance with Site Safety plans and specifications.
- Document all initial Safety inspections on new equipment deliveries to the site.
- All worksites should be walked by the SSHO a minimum of the three times daily looking for unhealthy conditions, unsafe noise levels, problems where respiratory equipment would be required and potential problems with toxic chemicals exist
- Any deficiency should be communicated to the superintendent for correction
- Deficiencies should be documented on the deficiency log and communicated to the QA if a USACE job to be documented in RMS.
- Assists field office construction managers in planning and managing a comprehensive safety and occupational health program to eliminate or control the risk of injury.
- Inspects all construction project sites as required for compliance with the stricter of the two regulations, EM 385-1-1 and OSHA 1926 Construction.
- Documents Weekly and Monthly equipment and Site inspections
- Develops and provides technical safety training to Construction field office personnel using a wide variety of materials, publications, exhibits, protective devices, and visual aids.
- Provided initial First Aid Treatment
- Records all first aid treatments and maintains all records so they may be submitted to the GDA upon request
- The SSHO or designated on-site personnel, shall be responsible for checking the weather conditions at a minimum of twice a day. Severe weather triggers to alert the SSHO to monitor weather conditions continuously.
- Provides training on severe weather precautions and actions, and identifies area of retreat, or other actions to be taken such as evacuation, work delay, etc.
Education and Experience:
- SSHOs shall maintain competency through having taken 8 hours of documented formal, on-line, or self-study safety and health related coursework every year.
- Minimum of Five (5) years of continuous construction industry safety experience in supervising/ managing general construction (managing safety programs or processes or conducting hazard analyses and developing controls).
- If the SSHO has a Third-Party, Nationally Accredited (ANSI or National Commission for Certifying Agencies – NCCA) SOH-related certification, only 4 years of experience is needed.
- Construction experience in Government contracts is preferred
- Degree in Occupational health and Safety or Industrial or equivalent degree/work experience is preferred
- The 30-hour OSHA Construction Industry safety card.
- 40 Hour Hazwoper (as needed)
- 24 Hour Fall Protection Certification preferred.
- First Aid/CPR certification
- Knowledge of construction safety, current Federal and OSHA requirements is required
- Ability to proactively identify issues and formulate solution; overcome obstacles to find solutions to problems; includes ability work independently.
- Must have the ability to write procedures, policies, reports, and correspondence.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedures and policies.
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills and be able to interact and form strong working relationships with individuals from all disciplines.
- Ability to solve practical problems.
- Ability to interpret written and oral instructions.
- Proficient in the use of Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Microsoft Outlook.
- Strong verbal and written skills.
- Detail oriented.
- Ability to multitask.
Job Type: Full Time
Competitive compensation and benefits are available and will be determined based on related experience and knowledge.
Bhate Environmental Associates is an environmental solutions company using state-of-the-art technologies to solve problems. Our family of employees focuses on a collective commitment to each of our clients. We believe in collaboration, robust training, outstanding compensation, benefits to staff and, always, quality work. Our favorite phrase is: “On-time, on budget, and above-and-beyond.” We do business “The Bhate Way”—your way, with no surprises, just professional expertise.
Bhate is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.